Cubbon Park Bangalore
The Cubbon Park, officially known as Sri. Chamarajendra Park is a historic park, located in the heart of the city in the Central Administrative Area. The park provides sylvan surroundings to the State Legislature building, the Vidhana Soudha, the High Court Buildings, the Attara Kacheri and a number of other organizations located along the periphery and within the park which constitute the Central Administrative Area.
The Cubbon Park has a history of over 100 years. It was established in the year 1870 by Sri John Meade, the then acting Commissioner of Mysore. The vast landscape of the park was conceived by Major General Richard Sankey, the then Chief Engineer of the State. As a mark of honor to Sri John Meade, the park was initially named as, Meades Park and subsequently it was called the Cubbon Park. Since the inception of the park, it was developed and improved by adding new structures and features. In the year 1927, the park was officially renamed as, Sri. Chamarajendra Park to commemorate the Silver Jubilee of Sri. Krishnaraja Wodeyars rule in Mysore State.
Cubbon Park is under the control of the Department of Horticulture. The Deputy Director of Horticulture (Cubbon Park) is responsible for the administration and maintenance of the park. Indigenous and exotic botanical species found in the park are about 68 genera and 96 species with a total of around 6,000 plants/trees.